Cathedral of St. Thomas More Phase 1 Guidelines
May 27, 2020
My dear friends,
We will officially enter Phase 1 of the reopening of the Commonwealth May 29th. It will be with great joy that we will be able to offer the public celebration of the Mass once again. This has been a painful separation, though we have borne these difficulties together, united as one Cathedral family.
We have been preparing for our reopening and ask for your patience as we follow these guidelines:
- No one with a fever or symptoms of COVID-19, or known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the prior 14 days, is permitted in the Cathedral.
- Phase 1 allows for 50% building capacity. Allowing for proper social distancing, at the Cathedral every other pew will be open. Unrelated persons must allow for proper social distancing. Attendance is therefore limited to 350 persons per Mass. Greeters will monitor capacity. Only the front and ADA entrances of the Cathedral will be opened.
- Phase 1 Adjusted Sunday Mass Times: 5:30pm Vigil, 7:00am Quiet Mass (for those who wish to limit additional exposure, such as those with compromised immune systems or other health issues); 9:30am (Live-Streamed with Bishop Burbidge this week), 12:45pm (Spanish). We will have a recorded Mass for viewing anytime.
- On the weekends, doors will open 15 minutes prior to Mass and will close 15 minutes after to allow for thorough cleaning. On Sundays, the Cathedral will be open from 2:00-9:00pm for private prayer. During the week, we are open from 6:00am-9:00pm with Mass at 7:00am & 12:05pm. Cleaning will occur throughout the day; the Cathedral will not close.
- All Mass attendees over the age of 10 must wear their own mask or bandana. Masks are lowered only while receiving the Eucharist; use hand sanitizer before entering the Cathedral.
- Please consider receiving the Eucharist in your hands rather than on the tongue. We understand that this is a very personal decision, and do not make this request lightly, but ask that those who receive in this manner make this temporary sacrifice for the health of the larger community.
- Burke Hall is closed during Phase 1; restrooms are available behind the altar.
- Pick up paper music sheets at the entrance; please discard in trash cans after use.
- Offertory Baskets will be located at the main and ADA entrances as well as in the second pew on either side of the aisles. Please use these for all collections.
- Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals will occur as long as attendance is limited to 350 persons.
We continue to pray for a complete opening at a time which is safe for all. I am grateful for your encouraging words, prayers and stewardship. You have shown generosity of spirit and resources, supporting our More for More effort and continuing your Offertory support. As we will face additional expenses to ensure your safety, I encourage you to enroll in Faith Direct. This will allow us to maintain consistent income and meet unforeseen challenges. Please go to www.faithdirect.net
Please check our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram) for immediate updates.
Again, know my brother priests and I continue to remember you in prayer. “Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord… is the rock eternal,” (Is 26:4)